x's & o's

i promised myself i wouldn't write another love poem
because i don't think i've ever been in love
i don't think i've ever been in love because
i've never told a boy about fourth grade
i've never felt lightning in someone's fingertips when we've kissed
i've never let anyone take more than their fair share of blankets

i've never even written a real love poem

only "i really, really, really like you" poems
only "but you don't really like me" poems
only "i hope you think i'm pretty" poems
only "my first kiss was in the walmart parking lot" poems
only "let's make out in your mom's minivan" poems
only "i don't want to take it slow" poems
only "i have a thing for skinny boys with long hair & brown eyes" poems
only "i had to ask your name after we made out" poems
only "you left a hickey on my neck but couldn't shoot me a text" poems

so i've never been in love

but when he talks to me about the little stuff, 
i can't help but think we're talking about the big stuff

yes, i want to know how you like your nachos
yes, i want to hear the song that makes you see yellow
yes, i want to swap secrets in my driveway

so come to my bedroom
we can lay on my mattress under a sky of plastic glow in the dark stars
& i will tell him about fourth grade
& it doesn't matter that i can't feel lightning
& he can take every square inch of blankets if that's what he needs

because i really don't want this to be just another poem

Comments

  1. this is not just another poem

    accessible and meaningful = not easy

    ReplyDelete
  2. i loved loved reading this. I like your perspective and how well you incorporate details. So good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. i actually think it is really funny & you have nothing to be sorry for, it's a happy thing

      Delete
  4. but when he talks to me about the little stuff,
    i can't help but think we're talking about the big stuff

    unnnhhhhh
    and the part about secrets in your driveway,
    and every square inch if that's what he needs,

    beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i promised myself i wouldn't write another love poem
    because i don't think i've ever been in love
    i don't think i've ever been in love because
    i've never told a boy about fourth grade
    i've never felt lightning in someone's fingertips when we've kissed
    i've never let anyone take more than their fair share of blankets
    unnnnhhhhhhh this is my life

    ReplyDelete
  6. s, i want to know how you like your nachos
    yes, i want to hear the song that makes you see yellow
    yes, i want to swap secrets in my driveway

    Seriously one of the most real things I've read.

    ReplyDelete
  7. this one made me hopeful for some reason. idk. I feel great
    oh and that one line
    "but when he talks to me about the little stuff,
    i can't help but think we're talking about the big stuff"



    #robbed

    ReplyDelete
  8. Why are you soo good are poetry? Anywho great post! Very nice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i just have a lot of feelings & angst ( & thank you ! )

      Delete
  9. K I want to know what happened in 4th grade, and this is definitely not just another poem. You keep writing

    ReplyDelete
  10. i've never let anyone take more than their fair share of blankets

    UHHHHHNNN. ALL OF IT. i rarely read "love" poems that don't make me crave cheese ... (lol) but THIS. this was good. this was great. this was incredible.

    i loved so many lines.
    i loved how it was a thought process.
    i love i love i love i love

    well done

    ReplyDelete
  11. WOW all of it. the not quite i love you poems and the swapping secrets part. this makes me want to talk to people about the small things and put plastic stars up in my bedroom.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Uhg, you're so amazing! This was definitely not just another poem. It's was a phenomenal one! Well done

    ReplyDelete
  13. unnnnhhhh. your'e incredible. i just died.

    ReplyDelete
  14. unnnnhhhh. your'e incredible. i just died.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This post is amazing and so is the rest of your blog, sorry for stalking you but not really sorry.

    only "i hope you think i'm pretty" poems


    ReplyDelete
  16. The lightning & the nachos & the swapping yellow fourth grade mini van makeout & oh my good gosh I have read this 3 times now and I don't think I'll ever be able to get enough.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment