just a jumbled mess of thoughts

i went for a walk tonight & this time i didn't bring my headphones

i had a matchbook in my hands, i like lighting the matches until the flame melts too close to my fingers, then i throw them on the ground

the sidewalk was glittering under the blinking streetlights & the houses looked lonely
please give me a call

i looked up at the sky to find neptune or mars or maybe even saturn but there were only clouds
it is raining, the earth is crying, god is crying, i am crying
i wish i wasn't crying

i walked past the place i skinned my knee learning how to skateboard, i chose bandaids over knee pads & now i have a purple scar

i walked through the field where my neighbor plays fetch with his dog, i can sometimes see them outside my bedroom window, it makes me smile to see them happy

i walked by the flower patch where frankie picked me daisies, now they are dried & dead but i still keep them on my dresser

i walked under the streetlight where you parked your car & played me your favorite album
i'm sorry i couldn't share mine, i just like too many

i sat down on the curb & dug a rock into my skin until i started to bleed
i don't know why i did that
i'm okay i promise

i had a dream about you once,
you were in the morgue & i was not, i woke up crying & needed your voice to tell me it wasn't real, but i didn't want to wake you, so i never called, & i never told you about that

& i'm sorry

you were hurting so i drove to your house once,
it was late but your bedroom light was on. i got scared you wouldn't want to see me, so i never left my car, & i never told you about that

& i'm sorry

you wrote me a letter once,
i opened it on a day when my tired eyes were all anyone could see , i wanted to send you an envelope of love back, but you never scribbled in a return address, so i never replied, & i never told you about that

& i'm sorry

i like the scar on your elbow that's purple like mine
i like the poems you write, even the ones you erased
i like when we swap secrets 
i like how your nose scrunches up when you laugh
i like how you only listen to mix tapes in your car 
i like your voice at midnight & you told me you liked mine too
i like it best when you're around

my mom just called me, i've been gone for a long time, it's cold outside, dad is coming home, we're going to have dinner like a real family
it's been awhile

i saw all my burnt matches on the wet asphalt & felt bad for littering, so i picked them all up

something tells me i will be late for dinner
but something tells me that's okay

please take care of yourself, i love you

Comments

  1. A variety of feelings when reading this, but mostly loneliness. Loneliness is the worst but this is the best but it makes me feel lonely because m I'm trying to be there too and I know how it feels to be scared.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love this so much. it's so amazing the way you can have so many super important themes like love and loneliness and hurt and weave them into something so fluid. it all just works.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i aspire to be just like you one day
    keep writing I love it

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh. My. Holy shit

    Rachel this was amazing.

    And it made me want to be your best friend.

    Please read this someday. Imma snap till my fingers fall off

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read this like half an hour ago and I can't stop feeling things because of it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. mama rach you've done it again. I'm snapping by myself in a room that echoes and I'm not even embarrassed. I'm still feeling this and I've read it 3 times through now and I know it'll be the first thing I read in the morning because I want to start my day off with something good. And this is freakin good. I love this a lot.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment