i need you, a cigarette, & a really long sleep please

tell saint dymphna i need her,
take me to her hospice
take me to her cathedral
i just need to get away for awhile

i'm convinced shiva lives inside me
smashes bottles against the walls in my lungs
he breaks ribs & cracks kneecaps
makes my hands shake extra on nights like these

i used to dig my fingernails into my skin
now i make blurry lines on my leg
they look like match sticks stacked all nice & neat

tell my mom i love her
tell colby to take a pretty girl to alaska
tell jayada to laugh a lot & to kiss gabe a little

i don't think i believe in heaven or nirvana or moksha or hell,
but sometimes i catch myself praying aloud

i only smoke cigarettes when i'm drunk
i'm closing the window, letting the shock roll over in a tidal wave

normal people don't draft suicide notes in their heads
over
&
over
&
over
again

Comments

  1. This is beautiful. Your writing captures something particular and I'm not sure how to put it into words but it's just what I've been looking for.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know we didn't talk much in school but this makes me miss you
    I get this

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment