baptize me in the bathtub ( 2 of 3 )

i believe in god, but i've never known him at one of his steeples

but i swear i can feel heaven while i roller skate through sprinklers with my best friend in the early morning

i can hear angels singing choruses of hallelujahs when he talks to me about bubblegum in the front seat of his car

so don't take me to church
take me to your bedroom
show me the books on your shelves
& show me the soccer trophy you won in fourth grade

i'm not familiar with the book of ecclesiastes,
but i'm familiar with my mother's tired voice when she reminds me to put on my seatbelt

& i've never walked on water,
but one time i ran on slopes of green while i was having a picnic with just myself

i haven't read the bible,
but i've read love notes written in crayon passed between two third graders

& i don't know what comes after all of this
all i know is that i am still here
i am still here

it might take me longer than three days to rise,
but i'll bounce back,
i always have

so stain me like the glass windows in the cathedral

baptize me in the bathtub

pull me apart like your holy bread

Comments

  1. everything.

    it makes me want to say amen hallelujah

    ReplyDelete
  2. your writing never fails to amaze me

    ReplyDelete
  3. so don't take me to church
    take me to your bedroom
    show me the books on your shelves

    ReplyDelete
  4. also holy freakin crap this is good

    ReplyDelete
  5. feeling things

    i don't want the bell to ring

    ReplyDelete
  6. fun fact - I was baptized in the bathtub of a small cabin when we were snowed in.

    it's always made me feel a little more holy.

    Also I love this

    ReplyDelete
  7. this is one of the best things I've read in a while. no joke

    ReplyDelete
  8. i came back to read it again. still one of my favorite poems ever.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Damn. Preach sister!

    I found something in my seminary notebook from a few years ago it said

    "I don't find god through congregations or preachers. I find him through mountains, and nature, and other people and through myself"

    I don't go to seminary anymore, but I go camping in the mountains

    ReplyDelete
  10. I followed the link from Samo's blog to here and I am so happy I did.
    This is everything I feel and more and I love you for putting it into words.

    ReplyDelete
  11. its odd. its odd to read this post from a link on zac ford's blog while reading posts of his i never knew existed and wind up wanting to make a comment on this post only to realize I already had 10 months ago. High school seems like a series of reoccurring dreams at this point

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment