dictonaries & definitions & trying to make sense of it all

dangle, verb.
     to hang or swing loosely
necklaces dangle, earrings dangle, ropes dangle, feet can dangle off tree branches ( like that time you dared me climb to the tippy top )

break, verb
     separate into pieces as a result of a blow, strain, or shock
bones break, hearts break, fingernails can break, cars break, fevers break, there are coffee breaks & lunch breaks, people break promises ( like when you said you were ok, but i knew you were hurting )

flip, verb
     turn over with a sudden sharp movement
coins can flip, divers flip, light switches can flip, people can flip the bird, pancakes are flipped when they're cooked, stomachs can flip ( like that very first time you kissed me a long time ago, that was so happy )

i've been making lists lately, ranking things.

i have lists of my favorite songs ( poison oak, lime tree, the sickness unto death )
& my favorite foods ( sushi, peaches that grow in my backyard, cheese )
& my favorite days ( may 18, october 3, september 7 )
& favorite albums ( fevers & mirrors, kindly now, ultraviolence )
& favorite words ( slutastic, incessantly, fizzle )

i think i'm just trying to make sense of it all
to make sense of me, to make sense of you
so when people ask me, i'll have an answer


   

Comments